World rugby record set by Battersea Ironsides RFC!
BATTERSEA IRONSIDES SET NEW GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR THE LARGEST RUGBY TOUR EVER!
- Battersea Ironsides RFC have been recognised as “Officially Amazing” by Guinness World Records for the largest rugby tour ever.
- The massive mini-rugby tour to Minehead over the May Bank Holiday weekend was in celebration of Ironsides 75th anniversary season.
- The tour comprised 306 Ironsides players and coaches – making up 28 Teams from Under 7 to Under 12 age groups, playing over 160 matches against teams from across England and Wales.
- The total number of tourists was 579, made up of 236 players, 70 coaches and 273 other Ironsiders who headed down to the West Country to support them!
- The venue was Butlins’ Resort, Minehead – where we took part in the Tigers’ Challenge Tournament hosted by ESF Events and Leicester Tigers RFC.
- Kyle Sinckler – currently representing England at the Rugby World Cup in Japan – started playing rugby with Battersea Ironsides Minis. He is a huge inspiration to all the Ironsides players and we hope our new Guinness World Record achievement will inspire him to World Cup glory. Go Kyle!
Dave Watson, Ironsides Minis Chair, said:
“It’s amazing to be awarded a new Guinness World Record for the world’s largest rugby tour. It’s a massive achievement that all our young players can be really proud of, and it’s also a massive boost, alongside the Rugby World Cup, for what we want to achieve as a rugby club: giving everyone in our community access to this fantastic sport.”
About Battersea Ironsides RFC
- Battersea Ironsides is (probably) the largest rugby club in the UK with approximately 1,200 playing members and over 300 coaches, managers and other volunteers.
- We are a community-based, inclusive rugby club, focused on fun and participation for all. This includes:
- supporting local charities, including 3 Pillars Project, which brings rugby and its values to young offenders and inner-city schools;
- providing a safe space for children referred to us from schools and local youth charities to make friends, improve their fitness, challenge themselves and learn new skills; and providing financial support so that no one is excluded for lack of funds.
- Our Junior Section has 6 Mini Rugby age groups from U5/U6 to U11 – offering rugby for boys and girls, 6 Boys’ Youth age groups from U12 to Colts (U17/U18), and a Girls’ youth section catering to ages U12-U15.
- Our Senior section has 5 Men’s teams – several of which have been promoted in recent seasons to play their highest ever levels – 2 Ladies’ teams, a veteran’s team, and an U21s team.
View the record at: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-rugby-tour